Monday, May 23, 2011

Saludos from Barcelona!

After two lay-overs in Chicago and Madrid, I finally arrived in Barcelona this morning 11:00!  Traveling went relatively smoothly - thank goodness.  Finding my way through the Madrid-Barajas Airport was a little stressful.  My flight from Chicago was delayed due to weather, leaving me thirty minutes to make it through customs and find my gate.  I walked back-and-forth in circles for a while not knowing if I needed to get my bag from security - I was told by airport personnel in Denver that I needed to get my bag in Madrid and go through security, but when I asked around in Madrid, I was told my baggage would be checked through to Barcelona.  Thankfully, my baggage made it to Barcelona with no problem!  (When my older sister, Nora was studying abroad, she wasn't so lucky - it's great being the baby in the family.)

After checking in with IES and a 21.60 euro cab ride, I made it to my host mother's apartment in the center of Barcelona.  Francisca, my host mother, greeted me with "un beso" on each check.  I was caught off guard and awkward and tried to spit out some Spanish greetings.  Francisca showed me to my room and showed me around the rest of the apartment (pictures to come).

I gave Francisca a Colorado book, and (tried to) talk with her about the pictures while we watched Spanish news.  I slept for two hours before Camille, my abroad roommate and friend from UT, arrived from Paris.  Camille's major is Spanish, so she is great at communicating with Francisca - much better than me.  Hopefully, I will get better so Camille doesn't carry every single conversation with me adding in the occasional "si."  After Camille got settled, Francisca showed us around the neighborhood before cooking us dinner - una ensalada, pollo, y las frescas.  It was actually pretty good - a nice change from my airplane meals.

We are getting ready for our first night.  It's 9:00PM and still so light out - Momma, sounds like your kind of place, huh?  We are meeting UT friends for sangria before going to the discotecas.  Tomorrow is orientation; classes start Wednesday.  I'm not sure what the plan is for the rest of tomorrow - maybe the beach?

I am so excited to finally be here!  I will try to update my blog with posts and pictures every day or every other day!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment