Tuesday, June 7, 2011

IES Study Journey to Costa Brava

Thursday was another rainy day, so Aly, Camille and I grabbed lunch at a really cool restaurant, got candy and headed to the movies.  We saw "Midnight In Paris" with Rachel McAdams and Owen Wilson.  It made me really excited to go to Paris!

This weekend, IES had a mandatory "Study Journey" to Costa Brava.  On Friday, we headed to Figueres, Spain to tour the Dali Museum.  I don't know much about Dali, but I am dying to go back and spend more time seeing all of his work.  The museum is one of my favorite things I have seen while abroad.
 Entrance.

 Up close you see Dali's lova; far away you see Abraham Lincoln.  Connection?

Ceiling painting.

After a quick tour, the bus headed to Cadaqués.  A group of us had a long lunch and then headed to the water.  The town was really pretty - I am falling in love with all the small beach towns just outside of Barcelona.  I wish I could have stayed longer to explore Cadaqués and see everything, but when I'm rich and travel all the time I can come back!  

 On the walk to Cadaqués.

Cataqués.

 Trevor, Caroline, and Travis.

 I'm an expert photographer.

Caroline and me.

The buses then took all of us to our hotel in Girona.  The hotel was so nice with the most amazing shower and bed; it made me miss home.  At my home stay, I have to hold the shower head above my head - there is no hook - and the water pressure isn't the greatest (sigh).  

After dinner, Caroline and I met up with Aly, Camille, Emily, and Mary (all staying at a different hotel) for some wine in the plaza, and then we all headed to Paparazzi, a club recommended to us by the hotel concierge.  We got a lot of stares because we were the only Americans at the club, but I didn't really care because the bar had Peanut M&Ms - finally some American candy!

Saturday was rainy and cold.  We went to the Exile Museum in La Jonquera.  I wish I knew more about Spanish history; I was pretty clueless about everything in the museum.  We stayed for an hour then headed to Collioure, France.  We visited Antonio Machado's grave (again, I was clueless on his significance in Spain's history) then were let free for three hours.  Caroline, Travis, Travis's roommate and I got lunch at a mediocre hotel restaurant.  We had the hardest time communicating with the waitress.  She didn't know English and wasn't good with Spanish; she only knew French - problem.  
 On the way to Collioure!  Too much gelato and candy.

Exploring the town trying to find lunch!

 View of the castle.

Caroline and me.

After lunch we explored one of the castle's in the town.  My camera ran out of battery so I am going to have to steal some pictures from Caroline.

Sunday we toured Girona and got to see some gorgeous churches.  We ended the tour in a small square with an old-style swing band performing.  They were from New Orleans and were so much fun to watch.  Caroline took good pictures of them - I will be sure to post them later.
Gross water from the rain.

We ended the trip in S'Agaro.  I want to have a house here when I'm rich - or at least have my yacht take me here every summer.  We finally got lucky with the weather and got to lay out for three hours.  I bossed Caroline around, telling her what pictures to take - again, I will be sure to post them later.

Here are two good ones!  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment